The New Mexico State University Rex E. Kirksey Agricultural Science Center at Tucumcari is located on U.S. Highway 54 three miles northeast of Tucumcari and Interstate 40, Exit 333. It is in USDA Plant Hardiness Zone 7a. The center consists of 464 acres, with 170.9 acres having Arch Hurley Conservancy District water rights delivered by canal from Conchas Lake as well as treated municipal wastewater delivered from the City of Tucumcari Wastewater Treatment Plant. In operation since 1912, the center is New Mexico State University’s oldest continuously operating off-campus research facility. In addition to crop and livestock studies, historical research at the center evaluated trees for windbreak and farmstead plantings, which led to the establishment of over 50 species of trees and shrubs on the center grounds, making it an oasis of trees in a sea of native grassland.